BBC - Weather Centre - Latest Observations for Greenwich, United Kingdom

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Birdie Feast

Our good friends over at the RSPB are running a Feed the Birds Day – over this weekend 24-25 October. In the winter when food is pretty scarce many birds are forced to come into our gardens.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/feedthebirds/

Here at the little gardeners we have a regular supply of food out for our little feathered friends, and we have some regular visitors, Gary our resident Goldfinch has taken his Mrs on their holidays to Africa, we're hoping he'll be back next year. (that's one of his little babies in the top piccie)

The RSPB have loads of tips on what you can do to help the birds and are running loads of events over the weekend. I tried my hand at making some fat balls. Pretty simple, melt some suet or lard in a pan and pour over yummy birdie ingredients. I used peanuts, sunflower seeds, some dried fruit, dried mealworms and wild seed. About 1/3rd fat to 2/3rds ingredients. Give it a good old mix and pop into your containers of choice. I put a piece of string in mine to hang it up although I'm not sure it will hold.... we'll see. Anyway, it smelt disgusting but I'm sure the birdies will love it! Hopefully we'll get a Siskin or a Redwing having a nibble, how exciting would that be!

The RSPB have a great list of household scraps you can put out, dead easy and cheap as chips. You can follow them on Twitter here

Now the clocks have turned back, it's dark so early I won't get to do my little bit of bird watching when I get home from work :-( Just at the weekends now.

No comments:

Post a Comment