BBC - Weather Centre - Latest Observations for Greenwich, United Kingdom

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tommy Gunn's



For some reason I find growing tomatoes immensely satisfying, I don't know why. Up until a visit to Italy about 5 years ago I didn' t really eat them, well not without saddling them up to a piece of lettuce or a slice of cucumber to disguise them a little. But wow, Italy sure is a good place to gain a great appreciation for the fellas. Now I can't get enough, I love 'em, especially the small juicy ones.

Which gets me to my point... that's the type we're growing, they're called tumblers, great for growing in hanging baskets, as the name suggests. We've gone for two varieties, both tumblers but one batch are red and t'other yellow. We can't actually remember which ones we planted first, we think red but I wouldn't bet on it.

We've had some good weather recently, some cracking sunnny days and the tommy's have loved it. They're covered in flowers and are looking really healthy.

So why so satisfying to grow? Maybe because they look like the sort of things that should only be grown in hot countries and little ol'England is far too damp and grey to support such wonderful bursts of colour.

I for one cannot wait to have a glut of tomatoes. I'm gonna eat them, dry them, roast them, bake them, make sauce with them, jar them. Anything but give them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment